The Shannon Dolphin Project (SDP) is offering several volunteer internships positions during the 2023 field season.
The internship runs from May – September 2023 and the minimum duration for successful applicants is 10 weeks.
The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group (IWDG) is a registered charity and NGO in the West of Ireland. The group have been running the SDP photo ID catalogue since 1993, focused on monitoring Ireland’s only resident population of bottlenose dolphins. The internship is based in Kilrush, Co. Clare, Ireland.
Successful applicants will gain experience in:
- Photo- ID techniques. Collecting and processing photo id data, matching images collected to the known Shannon Dolphin catalogue.
- Improving field skills and gaining at sea experience – dedicated dolphin surveys on IWDG’s own vessels, opportunistic surveying on tour boats. The internship will also include a one-week designated survey on the IWDG’s research vessel, Celtic Mist. Land watches from local headlands.
- Education and Outreach to the public in the visitor centre.
- Identifying bottlenose dolphin behaviours.
- Complete other tasks assigned by the project manager, such as responding to strandings.
Qualifications: Applicants should have a Bsc. degree in biology, ecology, or marine science program. Previous data collection experience in a research setting and or/ knowledge of marine mammals are great advantages. While training will be provided and no prior boating/ DSLR camera experience is required, skills in photography and a clean driving licence are also an advantage.
Expenses and housing: This is an unpaid internship. Successful applicants are responsible for their living expenses. However, the IWDG will help organise accommodation. Rent and expenses will be approximately €350 per month.
Start Dates: 1st of May or 1st of June 2023.
To apply: Please send a letter of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with Shannon Dolphin Project Intern as the subject line. Please also advise for provisional dates you are available for an online interview.
The closing date is close business on the 19th February 2023.