It’s that time of the year again, when IWDG in association with Inis, invite you to Whale Watch Ireland 2023 on Saturday 19th August between 2:00-4:00 PM. This annual event, now in its 21st year, comprises free and guided whale watches at local headlands and vantage points, as part of All-Ireland whale watch day. This year’s event is once again timed to coincide with Heritage Week which is a celebration of Ireland’s cultural, built and natural heritage. These simultaneous land-based watches at 19 locations around the Irish coast provide IWDG researchers, members and enthusiasts with a unique overview of whale and dolphin activity on the day; and as Citizen Scientists you can also play an important part.
While there are of course no guarantees of sightings, given reasonable weather you have a good chance of seeing some of the marine species that can be viewed locally. We advise participants to dress appropriately for the weather conditions on the day. Please note, there are no boats involved and no bookings necessary. There may be a short, elevated walk from the meeting point to your watch site, so sensible footwear is recommended, and your local watch may not be wheelchair accessible. You should bring binoculars, your sense of humour and refreshments, but please leave your pets at home.
This event is suitable for all ages and is aimed at everyone from the novice wildlife enthusiast to more experienced naturalist, with a keen interest in biological recording. In the event of unsuitable weather your watch leader may need to cancel your local event; so, if in doubt, please check in with them on the contact details below.
Location Meeting Point Watch Leader Contact details
- Clogher Head, Co. Louth Port Oriel Upper car park Breffni Martin Ph: 087 9145363 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Howth Head, North Co. Dublin Balscadden car Park Conal O’Flanagan Ph: 086 3537900 e: email@example.com
- Bray Head, Co. Wicklow Raheen Cliff walk car park Justin Ivory Ph: 087 6833898 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greenore Point, Co. Wexford Car park nr. Rosslare Hbr Village playground, Brian Glanville Ph: 087 1390665 e: email@example.com
- Hook Head, Co. Wexford Lighthouse Harm Deenen Ph: 086 3485013 e:Deenen@zoho.com
- Ram Hd, Ardmore, Co. Waterford, Lookout post @ https://w3w.co/olives.printer.cubic Maureen Jackson, Ph: 086 4565466 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Galley Head, Co. Cork Lighthouse Pádraig Whooley Ph: 086 3850568 e: email@example.com
- Dursey Island, Co. Cork To be confirmed Noel Linehan Ph: 085 7257534 e:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bray Head, Valentia, Co. Kerry Cark park Natasha Howard Ph: 087 4554034 e: email@example.com
- Clogher Head, Co. Kerry Layby Nick Massett Ph: 087 6736341 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Loop Head, Co. Clare Lighthouse Simon Berrow Ph: 086 8545450 e: email@example.com
- Black Head, Co. Clare Lighthouse Sandra O’Donovan Ph: 086 6061869 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ashleam, Achill Isl., Co. Mayo White Cliffs View Pt @ https://w3w.co/snorer.chatter.groves Gemma O’Connor Ph. 087 9073590 e: email@example.com
- Benwee Head, Broadhaven Bay, Co. Mayo, Nr. Kid Island @ https://w3w.co/quote.concludes.reality, Tom Breathnach Ph. 087 2688435 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mullaghmore Head, Co. Sligo Mullaghmore lay by Sophie Bresnihan Ph: 085 8732077 e: email@example.com
- Bloody Foreland, Co. Donegal, Foreland Heights bar car park Gareth Doherty Ph: 086 2223328 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim RSPB West Light Seabird Ctr. James Crymble Ph: 077 72879038 e: James.Crymble@rspb.org.uk
- Portmuck, Co. Antrim Car park Ian Enlander Ph: 078 49853549 e: email@example.com
- Bloody Bridge, Co. Down Car park Andy Carden Ph. 077 62019160 e: firstname.lastname@example.org